URGENT: Your Help Is Needed Now To Enact California Law Protecting Tenants And Their Companion Animals
Please follow link below to ask Governor Brown to sign SB 1229
SB 1229, a California bill authored by State Senator Fran Pavley (D-Santa Monica), would prohibit landlords from requiring that tenants either declaw or devocalize their animal companions. The bill is awaiting the signature of Governor Jerry Brown - the final hurdle. Your immediate action can help ensure that this landmark animal protection legislation is enacted into law.
SB 1229 will protect tenants from being forced to choose between securing housing for their families, and subjecting their companion animals to unnecessary, costly, and life-altering surgical procedures.
As a California resident, your email to Governor Brown's office will help convince him to sign this bill. He has until September 30 to act, but we need you to act today since the governor could sign or veto SB 1229 at any time.
Please send a brief email to Governor Brown today to convey your support for SB 1229.
Here are the steps to use Gov. Brown's online comment form:
1. Click here to access the contact page on Gov. Brown's website.
2. Fill in your contact information and make sure to select SB01229\Real property: rentals : animals (near the bottom of the list) from the "Please Choose Your Subject" drop down menu.
3. Click "Submit".
4. This will take you to the message screen.
5. At the top where it asks if your position is "Pro" or "Con", click "Pro".
6. Copy and paste this brief message (or your own similar message):
Please sign SB 1229. SB 1229 will protect tenants from being forced to choose between
securing housing for their families, and subjecting their companion
animals to unnecessary, costly, and life-altering surgical procedures.
7. Click "Send Email".
Thank you for your help on this important legislation! If enacted, SB 1229 will be the first law of its kind in the United States and will establish important protections for California animals and their guardians.